Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Wintersport


image: view of Morgins from the lift

Two weeks ago I went to Morgins, Switzerland to go snowboarding with my house mates. I had never snowboarded before, but now I'm hooked. I took morning classes while the boys boarded to France and met up with me for lunch afterwards. It snowed almost constantly and I only saw sun on the last day; on Wednesday it snowed so much that the lifts in Morgins were closed and I spent a day at home reading and drinking tea. We had an idyllic cabin to stay in, thanks to Tim's parents, equipped with an open fireplace, radiator for drying damp things and of course fondue and raclette sets (yum).Thankfully all the powder meant that I didn't fall very hard or get bruised (except when Andre mowed me over by stopping in my back :). By the third day I could go down the mountain by myself, and by the end of the week, I could do most things adequately. Mostly now I have to work on not being scared of going fast on straightaways...can't wait for next year!

Pictures here and here.

Books:
I am reading about a million books simultaneously, which isn't getting me anywhere fast. But, I did just finish reading Murakami's A Wild Sheep Chase. A Wild Sheep Chase was very entertaining, and I especially liked his description of ears and the part of the book where the main character is sitting in a desolate mountaintop cabin. It reminded me of wintersport of course. I am now reading In the Bubble, a book I would recommend to anyone, but especially designers.

Videos:
1. Twin Peaks -
I want to watch all episodes of Twin Peaks with Alexander before he leaves for Vietnam. Love it so far, especially the subtle yet creepy, pervasive music + imagery.
2. Classic Albums - Nirvana, Nevermind

No comments: