Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Slacklining, Man on Wire

Yesterday I tried slacklining for the first time. Loucas became obsessed with it on a trip to Dortmund, and ended up buying one for himself. We made plans to make fish for dinner, but once the line was up between the two trees, our dinner plans quickly devolved to take-out anchovy pizza.

We strung the slackline between two trees in the park behind his apartment. Though it was initially hard to get on the line, I got the hang of it pretty quickly. We spent the next 2.5 hours practicing, with some happy interruption from some little girls who also wanted to try it out. My furthest record was to the midpoint of the trees. Heart banging in my chest, one would have thought that I was 500 m up in the air rather than a mere foot off the ground.

I'm definitely hooked. We ended our day by watching Man on Wire, a great documentary about Frenchman, Phillipe Petit, who fufilled his dream to walk between the Two Towers in NYC.

By the end of summer, my goal is to walk across my canal without falling into the water, or more importantly without impaling myself on a bike. More to come...

No comments: