Friday, November 28, 2008

Another Idea

Since I got a new Canon SLR as a graduation preset from friends, I have been using an orange hat from Jorn's closet as a camera case. This is a side-effect of being both too poor and lazy to actually get a real decent camera case. On the upside, a hat is very flexible and easy to remove, much more so than traditional bulky camera bags, no matter how small or light they are. Once I developed a method for myself, it worked pretty well except for the issue of padding and camera protection...which leads me to my point and idea. I think it would be great to design a "soft" camera case with padding in just the right places, squashable, and out of the way when not in use; I imagine something like a laptop sleeve. I came up with some functional requirements. I hope one of these days, I will get my act together and actually come up with some prototypes.

Functional requirements:
- Easy to secure & remove (velcro?)
- Soft and flexible
- Padded in key locations

Ok, I just checked online. Apparently it does exist (ugly?!), but I still think it would be a nice DIY project and good gift idea for nerdy camera carrying friends. How hard is it to stitch neoprene?

5 comments:

ellen said...

i want one!

shauna said...

maybe i will make you one when i am at home for christmas, i have a kids size wetsuit at my house that i can cut up.. send me the dimensions of your camera!

ellen said...

sweeeeeeeeet!

this is the one i have!

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Sonydsch3/

i am brainstorming your tote!

elpezzz said...

hello!

neoprene is actually not that bad to sew, you'll want a thimble or something to help push it through, and thick/strong thread. i've used a sewing machine on it too, but that tended to get stuck if you didn't feed it exactly right.

-jjhu

raisin.detre said...

i made one! i'll post pictures soon