Monday, November 24, 2008

Digital Scrap Book

These last two days, I have finally been back to snooping around on the internet and catching up on blogs that I have missed. I have found a lot of cool stuff that I would like to remember or bookmark in some visual way. Even with all of the possibilities of bookmarking through delicious and browser bookmarks, I still find that I would like some sort of program to exist where I can click and drag images out of the browser so that I can spatially organize them either immediately or later with commentary and text boxes...some equivalent of a digital scrapbook. It would be important that I could organize the material in a unique to the content, visually striking, immediate way (mix of collaging and graphic design?), dependent on the nature of my content.


*example of a collage someone made in one of my user studies

Of course this is all do-able in Adobe InDesign or something, but it defeats the purpose of being able to make these spontaneous mind-mapesque visual notes. To consider the physical analogy I to have the rush of tearing up parts of magazines so I can paste them into a blank book and make big messy notes that I can look back on later (without the regret that always comes with tearing up nice publications).

The drawback of just bookmarking is that I can't make the mental connection I need later to remember what was so inspiring in the first place, and if I did remember I would still have to wade through the whole website. Maybe what I am looking for already exists...but maybe this is an idea for a future project.

I am now trying to make this work with my BookSmart bookmaking program, but all the crucial functions I want are missing.

2 comments:

ellen said...

scrapbooking is just cutting out, pasting, and anotating...why not just screen capture the part of the website that you want, paste it in any old graphic program, and make a textbox.

i am oldfashioned.

i think the scissors and glue are theraputic...

shauna said...

yes but it's still hard to do in a graphic program...