Thursday, January 17, 2008

Email from Dad

I don't think I have seen my dad in more than 5 years, but here is an excerpt from a recent email he sent me:

Dear Shauna*:

blahblah..

2008-2-7 is Chinese new year day and then the beginning of the year of Rats.
According to Chinese superstition, this is your "ben ming nian" 本命年, or
"self fate year". According to superstition, you have to do something to
protect yourself from evils. Despite theoretical "atheist" communist ruled for
over 60 years, most Chinese are still extremely superstitious. I found that
actually I am probably the only lone atheist in entire China.
Not only all commoners, also all communists believe in budda or ghost or
some other nonsenses. The first time I heard of the term "ben ming nian"
was only several years ago. And later I found it is a very serious big thing
in younger generations.

Lingling, who is my girl friend for a year now, is very nice to have
bought you a red waist ribbon which supposedly will protect you for your
"ben ming nian". She asked me to mail it to you before Chinese New Year
so that you will be protected :) So please tell me your mailing address
and I will mail it to you tomorrow. (I do not believe in such nonsenses, but
just for fun, and you may like it.)

blahblahblah. etc.

Sweet of him! Does that also mean when I was 12 I needed to be protected? and that I will have to be protected again when I am 48?

*Note: My dad never addresses emails to us (Lanna, Athena, and me) with "Dear Shauna", only "Dear X'nas" and cc'd to all of us.

1 comment:

ellen said...

o no i totally didn't take any precautions to protect myself this year! i guess i shouldn't have applied to medical school in this such unlucky year. i still have a few weeks left to watch out!