Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Grim Stories

I am off to the Spielwarenmesse in Germany for one whole week! This is coincidentally the Heimat of the famous Grimm brothers. In order to improve my Dutch, I have been reading a book of Grimm's tales I found in the secondhand bookstore in Delft.

Up until now, I have read 5-7 stories and I have discovered that there is an alarmingly high death rate for characters in my book, which is not at all what I remember from my English childhood Grimm renditions. At least four of the stories involved one of the two following premises:
1. Everyone dies (happy or sad ending, depending)
2. Everyone dies except the one who inherits the world (happy ending)
Ok, now I'm off to Germany. Tchuss..

Note: Maybe it's because I have been reading the shorter stories, because I am too lazy to read the longer ones. It's moelijk...

No comments: