Monday, February 11, 2008

i made a toy

This morning I saw a cute orange-ish squirrel on the way to the metro station. It was a smaller, cuter, less rodent looking variety of squirrel that I have never seen before with cute orange tufts coming out of its ears. I usually think of squirrels as gross, but this one was really, really cute!

I have discovered that squirrels are a sort of novelty to Dutch people, as they only exist in small quantities in the south of Holland. Jorn and Daniel kept taking all these squirrel pictures in Central Park when we were on vacation in NY, which I found very irritating.

I couldn't get close enough to it to take a picture of it, so I decided to sculpt it. Coincidentally, I was eating a wedge of cheese with the red wax around it, so I made a squirrel toy in the spirit of spielwarenmesse. Here it is on a dessert plate.

7 comments:

lannajin said...

ooh! i see delicious looking johannesberries! the eiscafes are starting to open up again :) i am excited!! :D

raisin.detre said...

is that what they are??? i only know them as granaatappels in Dutch.

Daniel said...

Granaatappels are pomegranates. Those things don't look like pomegranates to me

raisin.detre said...

hmm.. what are they then?

raisin.detre said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Daniel said...

well according to Lana they're Johannisbeere, which are gooseberries. pomegranates are way way larger than the things on the picture

jean shon said...

hm. i'm not sure about cute squirrels, but i guess i believe ya.