Tuesday, May 5, 2009

5/365: Pinned Fly



Drawings from Gas and I. We made them today while waiting for Bart to show up for practice. Tomorrow we will be performing at a singer/songwriter contest in the Cultural Center, starting 9pm.

Last night I dreamed that I threw a throwing knife at a tree. When I went to
recover my knife, I found that I had split a fly in half.
I finally finished Blink. I thought the book was quite nice, especially as a complement/counterpoint to Fooled by Randomness which I read earlier this year. The first was about how mental heuristics are a powerful engine for understanding the world in a flash, but also how these processes are unconscious and therefore unpredictable to the uninitiated. The second is about how the same mental heuristics can lead people to interpret the world as more causal than it actually is. I recommend both, but especially Fooled. Blink was fast and easy to read, but didn't really present that much new information.

No comments: