Wednesday, December 5, 2007

encounters of the dutch kind: hutspot

I had my first experience with hutspot recently. According to J.C. Diehl, hutspot is the most Dutch thing you can eat. Serendipitously, just as I had learned of this mashed potato-carrot concoction, we happened to make it for dinner, and it all happened because of Daniel's refusal to eat the bratwurst I brought back from Germany with just normal mashed potatoes (even though it was Sunday and the last supermarket had been closed for 5 minutes already at 6:05).

Our salvation came when we called Inga to eat with. She had carrots! As it turns out, a lot of onions, butter, and creme fraiche can make boiled potatoes and carrots go a long way. Jorn found this great recipe online, and the result was delicious even though everyone kept warning me hutspot was gross. The bratwurst was also soooo smaaaaaklijk, much better than the kind you can get here.

I put the candles I got from Pielter's wedding to good use, and we ate by candlelight. When we fed some to Bas, he told us that this was easily in the top five hutspot experiences of his life (out of 50+ times).

Recipe (source) boil carrots, potatoes in the meat stock. Add fried onions and everything else except the meat, mash mash. Ready the wurst and serve on the side.



Ingredients
1 kg kruimige (??) potatoes
750 gram carrots
500 gram onions
1 meat bullion tablet
20 gram butter
125 ml creme fraiche
thin sausages or spicy wurst
20 gram butter - fresh ground pepper

note: before I arrived in the Netherlands, I never liked potatoes much except in the fried variety...but now i know better (potatoes?)

1 comment:

lannajin said...

That sounds ridiculously good. Although, mainly because I haven't eaten anything yet and because I am desperately trying to find myself a lunch buddy. omg, my stomach is burning a hole in itself!