Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Lichtjes Avond

Yesterday Delft celebrated Lichtjes Avond, or Evening of the Lights, a kind of pre Christmas celebration. The canals and buildings on the Oude Delft were lit with colored lights and smoke (with the help of Frank?). There were street performances, food stalls, merchandise stalls, and small exhibitions everywhere. We* forewent a real dinner and opted to eat broodje rookworsts and rijst kip kerrie in disposable containers simultaneously chugging gluhwine from stall to stall pushing slowly through the crush. Anna, Lieke, and Heleen performed a belly dance in front of the Tango, shaking the little gazebo with their rhythms. It was a great success, but I hope they don't get a cold. We saw Vaniek (my new housemate!) pass by on a dinghy turned party boat, and the sfeer was generally gezellig. After watching a second showing of the belly dancing chicas, I drank a couple of beers in the Tango before going home to sleep early full of gluhwine and happy memories.

In other news, I have a new house right in the center of the city. Jeej. At the Tango I bumped into some people whose house I had been to for an instemming previously. It was probably pretty awkward for them to have to say hello to a rejected roommate. But it made me really happy I didn't get the room. Now I have prime location, awesome roommates, beautiful neighbors, and I can get used to living right next to the supermarket again! When 5:50pm Sunday rolls around I just have to roll out of my room and saunter down the street.

Totally unrelated: it's funny to watch Dutch people cycling and smoking at the same time. Reminds me of watching Senior Haus football games where the Romanians would look so badass smoking while running after the ball (or was it only Virgil??).

Photo: Duko and Inga outside of the Tango
*Michiel, Duko, Inga, Daniel, Michel and later Katrin, Meike + boyfriends

No comments: