Saturday, December 8, 2007

long weekend

Every day this weekend has been excruciatingly long, though fun. I wonder if I will feel rested enough to be alive next week.
Daniel: the idea of a whole week of work and study is so depressing after drinking/playing away your whole weekend
Friday, directly after an afternoon of boatweek presentations, I hopped on the train to Amsterdam. The event was the opening of Anouk van Dijk's new studio, Tokoyo Studio's or something. I was there because Jorn was helping one of the dancers compose a live piece for the event. They had ordered green curry for us, which was nice because I went into a feeding frenzy before eating lots of hors d'oeuvres. The whole audience was mostly well dressed old people, dancers, and one or two random sound and lights guys. I felt pretty out of place, but I continued eating and looking like I understood Dutch. I watched a couple of dance performances, but the highlight of the evening was definitely the piece that Jorn had worked on with the one dancer.

To tell the truth, I didn't really understand the whole dance but I liked it. The piece started with the girl huddled in a corner wearing nothing but her underwear. The music was kind of ambient electronic sounds fitting in with the warehouse setting. Eventually she got up and started dancing/thrashing around. The nudity was surprisingly not that distracting and actually added to the dance somehow. The word "nu" (now) was interwoven into the music here and there reaching a climax, while the girl progressively fell on the ground and got dustier and dustier. At the very end she moved to a corner of the room, prompting the audience to also move from their original space. Taking off her underwear, she moved to stand in front of a projecter with an image of her nude self on her belly. On the belly of the projected self, there was also a smaller version of herself, dancing the previous dance. I don't know what it all meant.. maybe I'll try to decipher it later.

After the dance, we drove to Rotterdam picking up Kakee on the way to Ivo's house warming in a record time of 35 min. I was only there shortly because I was so tired, but his house is awesome. It's right in the middle of Schouwburgplein.

Saturday noonish, I started on my way back to Amsterdam to see Jorn play in the Melkweg as part of the band outfit for singer/songwriter (hahahha.. hate that term) Emil. On the way there, I managed to miss both the people I was trying to meet at two separate train stations, but we met up at central station so it didn't matter. Fuck the Writer won second prize in the Grote Prijs van Nederland. Everyone was boohoo sad. It was also conveniently raining to complete the depressing scene.

Having lost the others Pieter, Gaspard, Jorn, and I tramped around in the rain looking for the Koe. When we got there, there was a lot more waiting involved, but my rack of lamb was delicious. Afterwards, we drank some beer so we wouldn't feel like total losers going home so early. We even managed to just catch the 20:10 train back to Delft. Getting home from Amsterdam was, as always, an ordeal, but my spirits were high after watching Breakfast Club again.

On an up side, Lanna and her friend Erika are visiting me next weekend.

No comments: