Tuesday, December 18, 2007

tiramisu

I was sitting in the kitchen yesterday when I saw the words "3D tiramisu" scribbled on the Volkskrant. I asked Boris what that cryptic message meant. He explained that there was an article in the food section on how to make tiramisu that involved less work and less waiting. I commented that tiramisu doesn't involve THAT much waiting, which in turn made me reflect on how far I have progressed in life.

I realized that when I was younger I never had any patience at all (and I still don't, really). In real life that translated into others perceiving me as a blunt, impatient, and often rude person. I am still seen this way today, but to a much lesser degree. I still remember an incident when I stormed out of the dentist's office vowing never to go back after an hour of waiting, even though the dentist was our neighbor and a good friend.

In terms of cooking and hobbies, that meant that I hated making or doing anything that involved waiting for an extended amount of time (15min+). This hatred extended to making jello, my favorite Chinese almond jelly, baked goods of all kinds, and resulted in a lot of failed experiments in growing plants.

Nowadays, I have a live avocado plant, even after 6 months, and though I still don't l-o-v-e oven dishes, I don't really mind them. I think it's a positive reflection on course through life. Every day small steps in good directions. Maybe one day soon I will even enjoy waiting, but I won't hold my breath.

--
3D(ip) Tiramisu for 2:

-30g dark chocolate (at least 70%)
-125g marscapone
-2 tablespoons marsala wine
-1 tablespoon powdered sugar
-6 savoiardi (or lady fingers)
-2 glasses of hot espresso
-2 tablespoons cognac

Chop the chocolate so that you still have some to chew on (???). Add the mascarpone, marsala, and powdered sugar in a bowl and mix well. Add the chocolate through the mix. Deal the savoiardi over three dessert plates and set a bit of marscapone nearby. Divide the cognac over two glasses and pour the espresso in. Set the glasses on the plates and begin to dip (?)

*okay, I will get this checked by a Dutch person. I'm not sure about the translation. does 1eetlapel=1tablespoon?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

this is like a college admissions essay. good topic choice, but bring out the pros of your personality more. hehehe.

raisin.detre said...

ahahhahaha! i'll try to do better next time ms. ellen.

Anonymous said...

yuuuuumy...and happy new year!